Hanna Perkins’ EPIC Classroom is for children ages 4-6 with Autism Spectrum Disorders. It’s a natural extension of our school’s focus on healthy emotional development by working with children to identify, understand, manage and communicate feelings.
EPIC – short for Exploring Potentials in Children – was developed in response to parents who have sought out the Hanna Perkins’ approach and an opportunity for close parental involvement, but also needed a classroom and educational approach tailored to the particular needs of children on the spectrum.
Our program is designed for high functioning children who are likely to eventually transition to a mainstream environment. But it provides less stimulation and more visual learning than other preschool classrooms, to support children in the early group interaction and socialization that can be a barrier for young learners in this category.
Hanna Perkins School is an autism scholarship provider through the Ohio Department of Education.
The Dedicated ASD Classroom involves collaboration with the Cleveland Clinic Lerner Center for Autism.
A child’s behaviors are expressions of feelings that need to be understood, respected and responded to in the most helpful way possible. This applies to all children regardless of limitations or differences in the way they communicate.
Often children on the spectrum show their feelings in dramatic ways that are confusing to those who don’t understand their language. In all Hanna Perkins programs, our specialists work closely with parents and teachers to help facilitate better understanding, and to support a child’s gradual ability to know, manage, and appropriately express his or her feelings. A child who gains this mastery over time will feel happier and more successful because of it.
- Maximum class size of 6 children, ages 4-6
- Five days/week, September through June
- Monday-Thursday – 9 a.m.-1:30 p.m.; Friday – 9 a.m.-noon
- Staffed with two teachers experienced in working with the ASD population
- An Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) consultant providing up-front training and ongoing consultation
- Two Hanna Perkins-trained child therapists available to meet weekly with parents and teachers
- An environment designed to be less stimulating than a traditional preschool classroom
- Increased emphasis on visual learning
- Consultation and on-site services, as needed, of a Speech & Language Therapist
- Classroom materials and techniques designed for the ASD population
Hanna Perkins is an Ohio Autism Scholarship Provider. For discussion about the suitability of the program for specific children, we’re happy to talk with you directly, and are glad to introduce you to our current Preschool, Kindergarten, and Parent/Toddler programs as well. Please click here to contact our Educational Director.
- School overview
- School philosophy
- Parent/toddler program
- The teaching garden
- The admission process, tuition, financial aid and other details