Position title: Director of Development
Date of Posting: April 8, 2019. Applications accepted until the position is filled.
Supervised by: Chief Executive Officer
Persons supervising: Development Consultant
Status: Full-time, exempt position requiring extended hours including some evening and weekend work
The Director of Development, under the direction of the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), is responsible for coordinating efforts to increase the organization’s funding base. The Director of Development adheres to the strategic plan and the development plan to secure funds for the organization while promoting its mission and programs.
The Director of Development creates fund-raising activities including major gifts and planned giving strategies, coordination of special events, capital, annual fund and endowment campaigns and grant writing. He/she will work closely with Board committees and the administrative team on strategic initiatives.
- Creates an annual development plan including goals, timetable and outcome measures.
- Works closely with the CEO and the Finance Director to create and manage the annual development budget.
- Coordinates all fund raising campaigns including: annual fund, capital and endowment campaigns.
- Facilitates the planned giving and major gifts initiatives.
- Manages funding requests, including researching foundations and corporations, preparing grants and managing approved grants.
- Oversees all aspects of biennial benefit including major gifts, sponsorships, ticket sales, award honoree, silent and live auctions, catering, decorations, etc.
- Manages relationships with former, current and prospective donors, including donor recognition and stewardship.
- Works closely with the Board Chair of the Development Committee to create meeting agendas, prepare meeting materials and assist in facilitating the meetings. Also serves as a staff liaison to the Marketing Committee Meeting.
- Recruits, manages and recognizes volunteers needed to support fund raising activities.
- Utilizes Raiser’s Edge and Wealth Engine software to manage donor information and develop strategies.
- Serves as a member of the administrative team.
Skills/Knowledge: Demonstrated ability to prospect, cultivate and manage new donors; strong partnership-building and event planning skills; thorough understanding of all components of a diversified funding base; excellent written and verbal communication skills; proficient in development software (Raiser’s Edge/Black Baud and Wealth Engine preferred), MS Outlook, WORD, Excel: and grant writing skills.
Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree in business, communications, public relations or a related field plus a minimum of seven years direct development experience. Strong background in planned giving and major gifts preferred.
Physical Demands: Director of Development will frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Hanna Perkins Center for Child Development is an Equal Opportunity Employer